Southern Pacific No.2472 was built by Baldwin
Locomotive Works in 1921. It is a 4-6-2 Pacific type steam locomotive,
having 4 leading wheels, 6 driving wheels, and 2 trailing wheels. Pacifics
such as SP-2472 where designed primarily for passenger train service where
sustained high-speeds were just as important as pulling capability.
Pacifics were used on railroads around the world and could be seen in
the rosters of a great many American railroads. Southern Pacific classed
the 2472 as a P-8, along with 14 sister locomotives built from the same
The 2472's first assignments were passenger trains
on the Overland Route between Ogden, Utah and Oakland, California.
Crews appreciated the smooth ride afforded by the locomotives of this
class. Overland Route runs used the same eequipment, without change,
for 500 miles.
When larger and more powerful 4-8-2 Mountain type locomotives
replaced Pacifics on long runs, the Pacifics were relegated to locals and
commute service, particularly the San Francisco - San Jose run. This is
where many remember seeing the SP-2472 performing its daily chores.
The SP-2472 served for almost 36 years on the Southern
Pacific system. The end came in 1957 when diesels had replaced almost all
steam locomotives on the SP. Fortunately, the No.2472 was saved from
the scrapper's torch and was put on display at the San Mateo County
Fairgrounds. It sat there until 1976, where a group of determined
volunteers had begun restoring it. Thus was born the Golden Gate
||Baldwin Locomotive Works
||25 x 30 inches